Design requirements of Sustainable passengers’ Land-transportation stations
Public transport stations and terminals are considered as a core to achieve sustainable development in society which needs linking of various transportation modes in an unified place to create an interaction between passengers and the facilities there in most developed counties had witnessed an increasing attention to encourage such interaction in public transport facilities. Sustainability has become an influential factor in the design of these facilities. Approaches to sustainable design have become increasingly important. This paper presents useful guidelines to the designer of these facilities with focal concern to sustainable factors that needs to be adhered to in the design. The paper reviews various studies and recent literature relevant to the design and links available know how to sustainable requirements. It defines the problem as '' the required needs for designers to understand the needs for sustainable design for public transport facilities". Based on this it suggests a hypothesis that indicates sustainable design will increase interaction between users and the building facilitating transport modes. From the literature, a theoretical frame work was achieved with significant relation to sustainability. Reviewing existing facilities of transportation buildings in developed countries through this frame work has guided the research to reach a set of findings which could assist in the design of such facilities thus the problem is given a direction to solve and assist in the design.
- 1الجوارني، محمد سعد، "التصميم المستدام في محطات نقل الركاب البرية العامة"، رسالة ماجستير، قسم هندسة العمارة، الجامعة التكنولوجية، بغداد،2015.
- 2معن والتحافي وسعيد، نسمة وأصداء وبسمة، "سياسات تطوير نظام النقل في العراق- منطق العلاوي في بغداد أنموذجاً"، المجلة العراقية لهندسة العمارة العدد 27، قسم الهندسة المعمارية ، الجامعة التكنولوجية، 2013.
- 3مكتب الأستشارات الهندسية في الجامعة التنكولوجية، "دراسة تصميم مشروع محطة الكرخ الجنوبي" ،2014.
- 4هيئة تطوير مدينة الرياض، "تصميم مشروع محطة العليا"، 2014.
- 5وزارة النقل، الشركة العامة لتنفيذ مشاريع النقل، "دراسة تصميم مشروع محطة كربلاء الدولية لنقل المسافرين" ،2014.
- Blow, C. "Transport Terminals and Modal Interchanges Planning and Design", Architectural Press, Elsevier, Oxford, UK. 2005.
- Desiderio, N, "Requirements of Users and Operators on the Design and Operation of Intermodal Interchanges", Transport Planning and Traffic Engineering College, Darmstadt University, Darmstadt, Germany, 2000.
- Edwards, B, "Sustainability and the design of transportation interchanges", John Wiley& Sons, London, UK. 2011.
- Lindstrom, C., " Energy Efficient Design of Bus Terminals", Master Thesis, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden 2013.
- Queensland Trans Link Transit Authority (QTTA), "Public Transport Infrastructure Manual", Transport and Main Roads Department, Queensland Government, Australia, 2012.
- Szekely, A. , Berki, Z. and Monigl, J. " Guidelines for implementers of passenger Friendly Interchanges", Transport System Management Ltd., Budapest Hungary, 2010.
- Todd, K. "Design and Planning Guidelines for Public Transport Infrastructure Maintenance and Constructability", Public Transportation Authority, Western Australia, 2003.
- Transport for New South Wales (TFNSW), "Guidelines for the Development of Public Transport Interchange Facilities", Ministry of transportation, NSW, Australia, 2008.
You are free to use the work, but you have to attribute (refer to) the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN grants you the right to publish the metadata of the journal, it's issues and articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Author(s) hold the copyright of their aricles without restrictions. However, IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN holds publishing rights for articles and their revisions once the article is published.
Authors can archive pre-prints (ie pre-refereeing) and post-prints (i.e. final draft post-refereeing) versions of the work they submitted to IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN using non-for-profit open-access servers whether on author's personal website and/or institutional repositories including the university or research center where the author work.. For post-prints, only the IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN’s as-published PDF version is permitted and the published source (IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN’s website) must be clearly acknowledged within the archiving webpage.