Ornamentation and Transformations Of Architectural facades In Different Architectural Periods
Ornamentation emerged as one of the most prominent concepts that associated with the architecture for its final crystallization through creation and production together, which drew the attention of research concept, after clarifying the depth of the Ornamentation in the architectural surfaces as a system of intellectual and material oriented to the architectural output and as a transient over time and confirmed transformations of models of adornment, The research objective is to explore the indicators of ornamentation that responsible
for the formulation and embodiment of architectural products according to the .transformations of architectural visions
The research adopted descriptive analytical method for the architectural surfaces ornament in the different periods and currents, that showed the transformations of ornament which make deep surfaces by the relation (inout) or (structure-skin) after showing the effectiveness of the transformation in each era of them to reach the conclusions of the research The design of the architectural surfaces in their transformations on the indicators of intellectual ornamentation represented by semantic concepts and values, and physical
indicators represented by the formal characteristics and properties of the material to produce different patterns of ornamentation which used by the designer to control the fundamental relationship of the deep architectural surfaces (in- out) through the interweaving of (structure - skin) in varied possibilities as research
confirmed through its methodology.
Afifi, Fawzi Salem, "Islamic Arabic Decoration", C1, Publisher Mamdouh Office - Tanta, Cairo, 1989.
Akasha, Dharout, "The aesthetic values of Islamic architecture", Dar Al Shorouk, Cairo, Egypt, 1994
Alnabawi, Hossam El-Din Bahgat, "Metaphysics of Architecture in the Twentieth Century", PhD thesis presented to the Department of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams University, Cairo, 2011
Alasadi, As'ad, "The Architecture of Deconstruction writes the world", an article published in the magazine of Kufa No. (1) 201
Alsultani, Khalid, "A Hundred Years of Modern Architecture", Al-Mada Foundation for Media, Culture and Arts, 1, 2009.
A. Noble, Christina, “ORNAMENT” , 2009.
Elrayies, Ghada Mohammad, ' Architectural ornaments in the twenty-first century: An analytical study ', in Cities’ Identity Through Architecture and Arts – Catalani et al. (Eds), Taylor & Francis Group, London, ISBN 978-1-138-05409-7, 2018
Albustani ,Maha Abdel Hamid; "Simulation of Tradition in Postmodern Architecture - Theory and Practice"; Ph.D., Department of Architecture, University of Technology, Baghdad, 1996.
Arnheim ,Rudolf , ”The dynamic of architectural form”, based on the mary duck biddle lectures at the cooper union, university of California press,London,England, 1977
Banham , Rener , "theory & design in the first machine age", the architecture press , London , 1972
Bothireddy, H. "Syntactic and Semantic Role of Ornament in Architecture", Master, University of Cincinnat, .2007
Bunta, Pablo, "Architecture and Interpretation: A Study of the Expressive System in Architecture"
Boym, Svetlana, “Tatlin, or Ruinophilia”, Cabinet Magazine, issue , winter ,2008
DIA Dessau Institute of Architecture , “Advanced Architecture Studio :Matias del Campo“, 2008
Dürfeld, Michael, “Ornamental Structuralism : From Rhythm to Evolution – the Future of Structuralism” , 2011
Ibrahim, Abdullah, "Disassembly: Origins and Proverbs", Oyoun al-Maqulat Publications, Al-Najah Al-Jadida Press, Morocco, I, 1990
Eisenman, Peter and others,”Reworking Eisenman ” Academy Edition, London, 1993
Falahat, Mohamad sadeghi; Zare, Mohamad , “The emergence of eternal truth by light in Islamic architecture” , Canadian Journal on Environmental, Construction and Civil Engineering Vol. 2, No. 4, April 2011
Frampton, Kenneth, “Modern Architecture: A Critical History“, Oxford University Press, thames and Hudson, Oxford, 1982
Gavra , Hara , “Contemporary Ornament: from the Object Towards a Quasi -object” ,2013
Ghanoom, D. Sumer, "The aesthetic of the Arabic calligraphy and its impact on architecture and enriching the internal vacuum", Damascus University Journal of Engineering Sciences Volume 30-Issue 2 -2014
Gombrich, E.H. "The Sense of Order: A Study in the Psychology of Decorative Art ", Cornell Univ. Press, 1979
Hale, Jonathan, ” Building Ideas An Introduction to Architectural Theory”, JOHN WILEY & SONS, LTD Chichester· New York • Weinheim • Brisbane. Singapore. Toronto,2000
Hatge, Gerd, , “Ensyclopadia of Modren Architecture, “, Thames & Hudson, London, 1975
Heidegger “The Origin of the Work of Art in Poetry, Language, Thought “. New York; Toronto: Harper & Row;1975
Heynen, Hilde, “Architecture and Modernity, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, “, 1999
Hilberseimer,L., , “Contemporary Architecture:Its Roots And Trends",paul Theobald And company,Chicago, 1960
Islami , S. Yahya , “Sacred surfaces: understanding the thickness of appearances from the primitive hut to parametric architecture” , International Journal Of Architectural Planning ,2016
Jencks, Charles & Farshid Moussavi, Marjan Colletti et , "The Return of Ornament ",Published in: Icon magazine 078, December 2009
jencks,Charles, "Architecture Today ", H.N. Abrams puplisher, Academy Edetion ,LONDON, first edition ,1982.
John Ruskin, , “ The Seven Lamps of Architecture “ , 1849
Levit, Robert, "Contemporary Ornament" , Design Magazine, Spring/Summer 2008, Number 28. To order this issue or a subscription, This article appeared in Harvard, visit the HDM homepage ttp://www.gsd.harvard.edu/hdm
- Miller , Kyle, 2011 , “ Organized Crime: The Role of Ornament in Contemporary
- Raaij, Michiel Van, “ Building as Ornament” , 2014
- RYLANDS , JOHN ” RUSKIN AND DANTE: CENTRALITY AND DE-CENTRING ALISON MILBANK” RESEARCH INSTITUTE, UNIVERSITY OF MANCHESTER , RYLANDS,2013
- Salingarose “unifinding the theory of architecture ” , abstract of chapter 12 , 2013
- Schulz, Christian Norberg,”Meaning in Western architecture ” the M.I.T., Praeger Publishers, 1986.
- Semper ,Gottfried, , “ Style in the Technical and Tectonic Arts, or, Practical Aesthetics trans “. Harry Francis,2004
- Siwalatri, N. K. A., PrjotomoJ. & Setijanti, "Meaning of Ornament in Balinese Traditional Architecture", Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research,7121-7127 , 2012.
- Sherzad, Shirin Ihsan, "The International Style in Architecture between the Governorate and the Renewal", Arab Foundation for Studies, Distribution and Publishing, 1, Arab, Amman, Jordan, 2002
- Sherzad, Shirin Ihsan, "Modern Architecture Movements: The International Style in Architecture", 1999, Arab Institution for Studies and Publishing, II Arab, Amman, Jordan, 1999
- Taylor, Mark, Julieanna Preston and Andrew Charleson, ,“ Re-Framing Architecture: The Myth of the Matter: Parallel Surfaces of Seismic Linings”, 2000
- Thuweni, Ali, "Islamic Architecture in Modernity", Arab Publishers' House, edition 1, Beirut, 2009
- Wieser,Thomas Meyer,2014“Mashrabiyya The Ornament As Visual Concept”,The internationally distributed magazine-Swisspearl Architecture
- Wigley , Mark “ The Displacement of Structure and Ornament in the Frankfurt“ , Project: An Interview” 1998
- Worringer, Wilhelm " Abstraction and Empathy :A Contribution to the Psychology of Style "Translated from the German by Michael Bullock With an Introduction by HILTON KRAMER , North Halsted Street, Chicago,1999
Copyright (c) 2019 Enas Salim Abdulahaad, Abdullah Saadoon Al-Maamouri
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
You are free to use the work, but you have to attribute (refer to) the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN grants you the right to publish the metadata of the journal, it's issues and articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Author(s) hold the copyright of their aricles without restrictions. However, IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN holds publishing rights for articles and their revisions once the article is published.
Authors can archive pre-prints (ie pre-refereeing) and post-prints (i.e. final draft post-refereeing) versions of the work they submitted to IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN using non-for-profit open-access servers whether on author's personal website and/or institutional repositories including the university or research center where the author work.. For post-prints, only the IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN’s as-published PDF version is permitted and the published source (IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN’s website) must be clearly acknowledged within the archiving webpage.